The Veazie Town Office is a designated collection point for unused and expired medications. There are several good reasons for disposing of these medications: medicines are often ineffective when kept past their expiration date; a person’s home may become a target for a burglary or theft by drug abusers; unwanted prescriptions left around the house could be found and ingested by children, resulting in accidental poisoning.
Protocols for disposal:
- Controlled, non-controlled, and over the counter substances may be collected
- Participants may dispose of medication in its original container or by removing the medication from its container and disposing of it directly into the disposal box. If an original container is submitted, the individual should be encouraged to remove any identifying information from the prescription label.
- All solid dosage pharmaceutical product and liquids in consumer containers may be accepted. Liquid products, such as cough syrup, should remain sealed in their original container. The depositor should ensure that the cap is tightly sealed to prevent leakage.
- Intra-venous solutions, injectables, and syringes will not be accepted due to potential hazard posed by blood-borne pathogens.
- Illicit substances such as marijuana or methamphetamine are not a part of this initiative and should not be placed in collection containers.
The service is free and anonymous, no questions asked.